Founded in 1857, is the oldest public university in Illinois, United States; it is located in the town of Normal. ISU is considered a "national university" that grants a variety of doctoral degrees and strongly emphasizes research. ISU is also recognized as one of the top ten largest producers of teachers in the US according to the American Association of Colleges of Teacher Education. The ISU athletic teams are members of the Missouri Valley Conference and the Missouri Valley Football Conference and are known as the "Redbirds," in reference to the state bird, the cardinal.
Though originally a teachers' college, ISU has grown into a university offering a range of programs at the bachelor, master, and doctoral levels.
- College of Applied Science and Technology
- College of Arts and Sciences
- College of Business
- College of Education
- College of Fine Arts
- Mennonite College of Nursing
The Illinois State University campus quadrangle is compact compared with other large universities, with buildings spaced closely together around a rectangular center lawn.
The Quad is a popular site for small special events including movies and concerts and Festival ISU, where campus organizations set up tables with games, prizes, and information about their organizations. Lined with benches and shady trees, the site is a popular spot for students to relax, study, and play informal games of sports.
The ISU Quad is also host to the Fell Arboretum, which is part of a 490-acre site that represents over 154 species of tree. The Fell Arboretum has won the Tree Campus USA award in 2008.
The Milner Library was named for Angeline "Ange" Vernon Milner (1856–1928), a Bloomington-Normal native and the first full-time librarian of Illinois State Normal University. Milner is credited with organizing the university's initial collection of more than 40,000 items and was a prolific author of more than seventy articles and short monographs in library and education journals during her tenure as University Librarian from 1890 to 1927. The current library building, the third in the university's history, opened in 1976.
The ghost of Angeline Vernon Milner, the university's first librarian, is said to haunt the former library building, now called Williams Hall. Built in 1940, the building was named in honor of Milner who served as University Librarian from 1890 until her retirement in 1927. Beginning in the 1990s, personnel working in the book storage and archives facilities formerly housed in Williams Hall reported encounters with what they believe to be ghost of Milner.
So if you want to go to this school be prepared to run into "Aunt Ange" as she was once called.
It was founded in 1870 as a small college affiliated with the Universalist Church. In 1913 ownership was transferred to the City of Akron. In 1967 the university became a state institution. The University of Akron is regarded as a world leader in polymer research. As a STEM-focused institution, it focuses on industries such as polymers, advanced materials, and engineering. In the last decade it has sought to increase its research portfolio and gain recognition for its productivity in technology transfer and commercialization.
The University's best-known program is its College of Polymer Science and Polymer Engineering, which is located in a 12-story reflective glass building that overlooks the western edge of the campus. UA’s Archives of the History of American Psychology, an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution, is open to the public at 77 College St. on the north side of campus. The museum contains some of the nation’s most famous psychology artifacts, and it is visited regularly by researchers from around the world.
The University of Akron offers both undergraduate and graduate degrees, ranging from certificate programs to the PhD. The largest college of the university is the Buchtel College of Arts and Sciences. Bierce Library is the main campus library. It is named for Lucius Bierce, a Civil-War era General, whose personal library constituted the first collection of the University Libraries.
The University offers nearly 300 undergraduate majors. The various undergraduate schools offer an array of Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Arts, and Associate's degrees. In conjunction with the Northeastern Ohio Universities Colleges of Medicine and Pharmacy (NEOUCOM), the University offers an accelerated six-year, BS/MD program, where ambitious students can earn a bachelor's degree in two years and complete medical school in the traditional four years.The University of Akron is also the first and only University in the nation to offer a baccalaureate program in corrosion engineering.
A female ghost is blamed for scaring men at the Hower House at the University of Akron. Students claim that this ghost was a Hower and whose husband cheated on her. She is angry and scares males at the Hower House because of this.
TKE House Haunting:
The ghost of a servant girl haunts the TKE House and the surrounding area. Her body was apparently buried in a grave near the house.
Sigma Nu Haunting:
Students at the Sigma Nu House report that the ghost of a female students haunts the house. This female entity, according to some sources, committed suicide by hanging herself in the boiler room of the house.
Some students have also reported hearing disembodied footsteps and seeing shadow figures at the Sigma Nu House.
Sorority House Haunting:
Objects at the Sorority House move without explanation. Some students have reported seeing kitchen plates fly across the room and slam against the wall with no explanation and no human cause. Doors reportedly open and close on their own. Disembodied footsteps have been reported. Students claim that furniture will often be mysteriously moved out of place.
university of Notre Dame :
Is a Catholic research university located in Notre Dame, an unincorporated community north of the city of South Bend, in St. Joseph County, Indiana, United States. "Notre Dame," French pronunciation: meaning "Our Lady," is a Catholic honorific salutation in reference to the Virgin Mary, the patron saint of the university. The school was founded by Father Edward Sorin, CSC, who was also its first president, and even today many Holy Cross priests serve the school—most notably the president of the university. It was established as an all-male institution on November 26, 1842, on land donated by the Bishop of Vincennes, Indiana. The university first enrolled women undergraduates in 1972. As of 2012[update] about 47 percent of the student body was female. Notre Dame's Catholic character is reflected in its explicit commitment to the Catholic faith, numerous ministries funded by the school, and the architecture around campus. In 1962, Time called it one of the Catholic Ivy Universities in American Roman Catholic higher education.
The College of Arts and Letters was established as the university's first college in 1842 with the first degrees given in 1849. The university's first academic curriculum was modeled after the Jesuit Ratio Studiorum from Saint Louis University.[ Today the college, housed in O'Shaughnessy Hall, includes 20 departments in the areas of fine arts, humanities, and social sciences, and awards Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degrees in 33 majors, making it the largest of the university's colleges. There are around 2,500 undergraduates and 750 graduates enrolled in the college.
The College of Science was established at the university in 1865 by president Father Patrick Dillon. Dillon's scientific courses were six years of work, including higher-level mathematics courses. Today the college, housed in the newly-built Jordan Hall of Science, includes over 1,200 undergraduates in six departments of study – biology, chemistry, mathematics, physics, pre-professional studies, and applied and computational mathematics and statistics (ACMS) – each awarding Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees. According to university statistics, its science pre-professional program has one of the highest acceptance rates to medical school of any university in the United States.
The School of Architecture was established in 1899, although degrees in architecture were first awarded by the university in 1898. Today the school, housed in Bond Hall, offers a five-year undergraduate program leading to the Bachelor of Architecture degree. One year of study is completed in Rome by all students enrolled in the school.
The College of Engineering was established in 1920, however, early courses in civil and mechanical engineering were a part of the College of Science since the 1870s. Today the college, housed in the Fitzpatrick, Cushing, and Stinson-Remick Halls of Engineering, includes five departments of study – aerospace and mechanical engineering, chemical and biomolecular engineering, civil engineering and geological sciences, computer science and engineering, and electrical engineering – with eight B.S. degrees offered. Additionally, the college offers five-year dual degree programs with the Colleges of Arts and Letters and of Business awarding additional B.A. and Master of Business Administration (MBA) degrees, respectively.
The Mendoza College of Business was established by Father John Francis O'Hara in 1921, although a foreign commerce program was launched in 1917. Today the college offers degrees in accountancy, finance, management, and marketing and enrolls over 1,600 students. In the 2010 Bloomberg/Businessweek Undergraduate Business School Rankings, The Mendoza College of Business was ranked as the top overall school.
All of Notre Dame's undergraduate students are a part of one of the five undergraduate colleges at the school or are in the First Year of Studies program. The First Year of Studies program was established in 1962 to guide incoming freshmen in their first year at the school before they have declared a major. Each student is given an academic advisor from the program who helps them to choose classes that give them exposure to any major in which they are interested. The program also includes a Learning Resource Center which provides time management, collaborative learning, and subject tutoring. This program has been recognized previously, by U.S. News & World Report, as outstanding.
Haunting at Notre Dame
Washington Hall, in the middle of the Notre Dame campus is said to be haunted by the legendary college football player George Gipp, of "win one for the Gipper" fame. It has been said that this student housing building may have even been responsible for Gipp's untimely death. It was said that he often stayed out after the curfew set by a stern brother who was in charge of the boys in the hall. Gipp was said to have slept on the front steps of the building one night rather than face the brother's wrath at coming in late. He caught cold, which later turned into his fatal case of pneumonia.
The mysterious events in Washington Hall began shortly after Gipp's death in 1920. Students claimed to hear ghostly music playing in the building very late at night. Mysterious footsteps sounded in the halls at all hours, doors slammed when no one was around and one student claimed that he was pushed by invisible hands as he was walking down a stairway. Even the skeptical Catholic brothers were convinced that something strange was going on.
The stories of the ghostly activity quieted down for a time, until 1945, when students reported a succession of evenings when footsteps were heard up on the building's roof. The building changed in the early 1950's when it was converted to classrooms and a theater....but reports of strange activity did not. One claim said that a student watched light bulbs unscrew themselves from sockets before his eyes.
Washington Hall still rests on the Notre Dame campus although hall directors claim that they have yet to meet the ghost. They do admit hearing some strange sounds but despite the rumors.... they can't say for sure that George Gipp is still roaming the corridors of Washington Hall.