The Crescent Hotel, Eureka springs, Arkansas:
Built by the Eureka Springs Improvement Company and the Frisco Railroad, the hotel was designed by Isaac L. Taylor.
It was an important time in Eureka Springs' history as the "healing waters" of the Ozarks had become well known across the nation. People from near and far were swarming to the area in hopes of curing their ailments and easing their pains. The developers of the Crescent Hotel & Spa planned to take advantage of these many travelers by building the most luxurious resort in the country.
In 1884 numerous stonemasons were brought in from Ireland to begin the construction. As construction continued for the next two years, more and more workmen were hired as electrical lights, modern plumbing, steam heating, an elevator, extensive landscaping, and luxurious decorations and amenities were built into the hotel. In the end, the hotel cost $294,000 to build, an extremely extravagant amount for the time.
The Crescent Hotel opened on May 20, 1886, Notables from across the country attended its grand opening, which included a gala ball, complete with a full orchestra and banquet dinner for 400 celebrants.
Offering large airy rooms with exquisite furnishings, a dining room that once seated more than 500 people, and outside amenities that included a swimming pool, tennis courts and croquet, among a beautiful landscape of flower gardens, winding boardwalks and gazebos, the opulence of the hotel was unmatched at the time.
Immediately, the well-to-do of the nation began to flock to the luxurious resort hotel as liveried footmen met them at the Frisco depot before transporting them to the inn. Once there, the guest could not only enjoy the healing waters of the spa, but also a stable of 100 sleek-coated horses, tea dances in the afternoon, and elaborate parties every evening with a full in-house orchestra.
However, the prosperity was not to last. After the turn of the century, people began to realize that the acclaimed "healing waters” didn’t have the curative powers that the hotel and the city were so known for. Little by little, people stopped coming to the beautiful resort. From 1908 to 1924, the building was utilized as the Crescent College and Conservatory for Young Women, but continued to act as a resort during the summers. However, after operating for 16 years, the revenues from tuition and summer guests was not high enough to maintain the costs of running the large building and the Women’s College closed. After sitting abandoned for the next six years it briefly reopened as a junior college from 1930 to 1934.
However, what was unknown to the many desperate patients who flocked to the hospital was that Norman Baker’s "miracle” was nothing more than a scam that he had been purporting on unsuspecting patients for years. The man had absolutely no medical training and had been convicted in Iowa in 1936 for practicing medicine without a license. Furthermore, the American Medical Association had condemned the many elixirs that were sold for a number of different ailments, including cancer. While operating the "hospital,” Baker was being investigated by federal authorities and in 1939 was finally arrested for mail fraud. One US Postal Inspector estimated that Baker had made as much as $500,000 per year, selling his "miracle elixirs” through the mail while in Eureka Springs. He was convicted and served four years in Leavenworth.
During the wars years of 1940 to 1946, the beautiful building once again sat empty. However, in 1946, the hotel was purchased by four Chicago businessmen who began to restore the old hotel to its former elegance. Though never at the level of its first grand days in the late 1800’s, the hotel once again began to thrive. Unfortunately, tragedy struck in 1967 when a fire swept through the fourth floor of the south wing and much of it was destroyed. And over the next several years, the hotel passed through several hands as repairs and more restorations were made, but the hotel was never fully restored to its original grandeur.
However, this all changed in 1997 when the historic inn was purchased by Marty and Elise Roenigk. In May, 1997, the couple announced, "In five Years, we pledge to have this ‘Grand Lady of The Ozarks’ back to where she was 100 years ago.” But, Ozark residents, having heard these promises too many times before, were skeptical.
In 1997, the Roenigks began to rebuild the spas. That first year, a 6,500 square foot "New Moon Spa” opened which included Vichy showers, a hydrotherapy tub, sauna, message and therapy tables, tanning beds, and exercise equipment.The next major project was to restore the hotel’s skyline which had been destroyed in the 1967 fire. Costing well over a million dollars, the 3,500 square foot penthouse, original center observation tower and the 200-pound, 24-foot-tall Crescent Moon weathervane were restored. In the meantime, restorations of the guest rooms, lounges, electrical and plumbing, and landscaping was also going on.
On September 6, 2002, The Roenigk's bold announcement became a reality. After 5 million dollars in renovations, the grand hotel had been fully restored to its original stately glory.
The hotel is not only the most visited one but also the most haunted as well.
The most often sighted apparition is that of an red-haired Irish stonemason, who the staff has dubbed "Michael.” Allegedly, Michael was one of the original masons who worked on the building of the hotel in 1885. However, while working on the roof he lost his balance and fell to the second floor area and was killed. This area now houses Room 218 of the hotel and is said to be the most haunted guestroom. Michael is evidently a mischievous spirit who likes to play tricks with the lights, the doors, and television, as well as often being heard pounding loudly on the walls. Others have witnessed hands coming out of the bathroom mirror and heard cries of what sounded like a man falling in the ceiling. Yet other guests have been shaken during the night, and on one occasion a patron ran screaming from the room, professing to have seen blood splattered all over its walls.
From the days when the old hotel served as Baker’s Cancer Hospital, the lingering spirit of a nurse, dressed all in white, is often seen pushing a gurney on the third floor. Only spotted after 11:00 p.m., the time which they used to move the deceased out the cancer hospital, the ghostly spirit vanishes when she reaches the end of the hallway. Others who have not seen the apparition have reported the sounds of squeaks and rattles that sound like a gurney rolling down the hallway. During the 1930’s, this area was used as the morgue and even today, still houses "Dr.” Baker’s old autopsy table and walk-in freezer. Also located on the third floor is the laundry area, where a hotel maintenance man once witnessed all of the washers and dryers inexplicably turning on by themselves in the middle of the night. The apparition of the greedy "Doctor Baker” himself, has also been seen in the old Recreation Room in the basement and at the foot of the first floor stairway. Dressed in a purple shirt and white linen suit, and looking somewhat confused, the apparition appears identical to old photographs of the infamous "quack.”
For a time, the antique switchboard continued to be utilized in the hotel, but when it continually received phone calls from the otherwise empty basement, the use of the old switchboard was discontinued. It was here in the basement that "Dr.” Baker’s hapless patients were often convinced of his miracle cures and handed over their life's savings for the "treatment."
Another remnant of these old "hospital” days is a ghostly figure who calls herself "Theodora.” Most often seen by housekeepers in Room 419, Theodora courteously introduces herself as a cancer patient, before quickly vanishing.
In the lobby a gentleman dressed in formal Victorian clothing, complete with top hat, has often been spotted at the bottom of the stairway and sitting at the bar. Described as distinguished-looking with a mustache and beard, many have claimed to entice him into conversation. However, he just sits quietly and never responds, before he suddenly disappears.
The hotel’s Crystal Dining Room, is another place in the hotel that is said to contain frequent paranormal activities. Here, other Victorian dressed apparitions have often been encountered. Many have seen groups of 1890’s dancers, in full-dress attire, whirling around the room in the wee hours of the morning. Other reports tell of a 19th century gentleman who has been seen sitting at a table near the windows. When approached, he says, "I saw the most beautiful woman here last night and I am waiting for her to return."
A former waitress reported that she spied the vision of a Victorian bride and groom in the dining room’s huge mirror. The groom allegedly made eye contact with her before the couple faded away.The Victorian spirits that linger in the dining room are said to be very playful, and on one occasion during the Christmas season, the Christmas tree and all its packages were found mysteriously moved to the other side of the room. Additionally, all the chairs had been moved to circle or face the transported tree. On another occasion, staff arrived in the morning to find the dining room in perfect order, with the exception of all of the menus scattered about the room.
In the dining room’s kitchen. the apparition of a small boy has been seen skipping around and sometimes pots and pans are said to come flying of their hooks of their own accord.
One other often reported spirit is that of a young female who once attended the Crescent College and Conservatory for Young Women, which was open between 1908 and 1924. According to the tale, the young girl either jumped from or was pushed from a balcony to her death. Today, guests report hearing her screams as she falls.
Other apparitions have been sighted in Room 202 and Room 424, as well as a ghostly waiter carrying a tray of butter in the hallways.
Hotel Del Coronado, Coronado California:
Also known as The Del or Hotel del. Is a beachfront luxury hotel in the city of Coronado, just across the San Diego Bay from San Diego, California. It is one of the few surviving examples of an American architectural genre. It is one of the oldest and largest all wooden buildings in California.
Construction of the hotel began in March 1887, and the grand opening was in February 1888.
Some of the features include an Olympic size salt water pool, tennis courts, and a yacht club with architecture resembling the hotels grand tower. A Japanese tea garden, an ostrich farm, billiards, bowling alleys, hunting expeditions, and deep sea fishing.
The popularity of the hotel was established before the 1920s. It already had hosted Presidents Harrison, McKinley, Taft, and Wilson. By the 1920s Hollywood's stars and starlets discovered that the Del was the in place to stay. Many celebrities made their way south to party during the era of Prohibition and used the Hotel Del as their personal playground. Tom Mix, Rudolph Valentino, Charlie Chaplin, and Ramon Novarro were a few of the many actors who stayed at the hotel during weekend getaways. Also on April 7, 1920 Edward, prince of wales was honored with a grand banquet in the crown room of the hotel, its said that its where he met his future wife Wallis Spencer since she lived there during that time.
Some of the strange occurrences that have been reported are: odd noises, spirited breezes, strange faces and the ghostly figure of a young lady wearing a black lace dress. The name of one of the spirits is Kate Morgan, aka Lottie Bernard. Lottie signed the register and told the desk clerk that she would be awaiting the arrival of her husband. Three days later when her husband still had not shown up, the hotel inquired about the payment of the bill Lottie had accrued. That same day, Lottie went to the mainland and purchased a gun.
The next morning Lottie's lifeless body was found out side on the stairs and her gun was two steps above her. The death was recorded as a suicide. Many people have questioned this, however. A more detailed review of the evidence might suggest murder. The room she stayed in was originally 302 however it is now room 3502, its said to be haunted by her spirit.
There's also a story about a little girl named Melissa who stayed at the hotel with her aunt. She was usually seen playing with her favorite little doll in various locations throughout the hotel. However, she was eventually discovered in the hall when she became very ill. They took her to a doctor nearby but forgot to grab her doll, sadly she passed away, and its said that her spirit haunts the hotel to this day looking for her favorite little doll.
The Stanley Hotel, Estes Park Colorado:
In 1903, Stanley, who was co-inventor of the Stanley steamer automobile, came to Estes Park for his health. Stanley suffered from Tuberrculosis and came west at his doctor's suggestion. The doctor arranged for Stanley and his wife, Flora, to stay in a cabin in Estes Park for the summer. Immediately, they fell in love with the area and Stanley's health began to dramatically improved. Impressed by the beauty of the valley and grateful for the improvement in his health, he decided to invest his money and his future there. Construction of the hotel began in 1907, and was completed in 1909.
Many believe the Stanley Hotel is haunted, having reported a number of cases of ghostly activity, primarily in the ballroom. Kitchen staff have reported to have heard a party going on in the ballroom, only to find it empty. People in the lobby have allegedly heard someone playing the ballroom's piano; employees investigating the music proportedly find nobody sitting at the piano. Employees believe the spirit to be that of Flora since she did play the piano in life. In one guest room, people claim to have seen a man standing over the bed before running into the closet. The same apparition is allegedly responsible for stealing guests' jewelry, watches, and luggage. Others reported to have seen ghosts in their rooms in the middle of the night, simply standing in their rooms in the middle of the night, simply standing in their room before disappearing.
It should also be noted the Stephen King stayed at the Stanley Hotel in room 217 amd thats how he got the idea for The Shining.
Le Pavillon Hotel, New Orleans:
Originally the hotel was called New Hotel Denechaud, and was built from 1889 to 1907. The name of the hotel changed in 1970 to Le Pavillon Hotel after some massive restoration was completed.
Before this hotel ever was a hotel is was in 1830, the New Orleans Carrollton railroad claimed this land. The main train depot was erected on the exact spot that Le Pavillon stands today. And in the 19th century, the depot was renovated to host various types of entertainment. In 1867, it was turned into the German Theatre by Philip Werlein, but burned down in a fire of suspicious nature.
Today the Hotel is said to be the most haunted in New Orleans.
The first spirit that should be metioned is the one of Adda, or Ava, she's a teenage ghost that usually hangs around the lobby and main entrance. She has brown eyes, brown hair and fair skin, and wears a long black skirt, hat, and shawl in the fashion of the mid 1800's. The story is that a runaway carriage hit and killed her just as she was boarding a ship with her family. Her spirit often paces in the lobby and sometimes bumps into people. She does apologize and say's she's lost before Vanishing, some people claim she feels solid and that they could smell lilacs or roses.
The hotel also has a ghostly couple. Its said that the man died suddenly following a walk the couple took together, with the woman dying years later. When the woman is spotted alone, she's crying. However, when they're spotted as a couple, they're happy and holding hands as they walk in the gardens and the hallways. They wear fashions of the 1920's, they usually stroll through doors and disappear into elevators.
The man usually wears a hat and smokes a cigar, has a dark moustache and carries an umbrella or a cane. The lady is said to not be his wife and wears a long dress of light blue, has dark hair and carries a beaded purse. Her room is believed to be on the third floor because her perfume lingers there. His room on the fourth floor carries cigar smoke.
There's also the spirit of a young man with long hair and no shoes, wearing a brightly colored shirt, bell bottom pants and a sizeable belt buckle that has been seen all over the hotel, parking lot and sidewalk. He appears to be quite happy. At times, he runs through the hotel like someones chasing him. Other times, he walks on the sidewalk and disappears into a wall.
This ghost is a prankster and does such things like moving around the belongings of guests, hides their room keys and shoes, and also yanks the sheets off beds through the night. Some have spotted his reflection in mirrors and his face peeking into the windows of rooms even as high as the third floor and higher. Security investigates and never finds anyone.
Queen Mary Hotel, Long Beach California:
The Queen Mary is a retired ocean liner that sailed primarily in the North Atlantic Ocean from 1936 to 1967 for the Cunard Line. Built by John Brown & Company in Clydebank, Scotland.
The Queen Mary sailed on her maiden voyage on May 27 1936.
With the outbreak of World War II, she was converted into a troopship and ferried Allied soldiers for the duration of the war. Following the war, Queen Mary was refitted for passenger service and along with Queen Elizabeth commenced the two-ship transatlantic passenger service that the two ships were initially built for.
After several years of decreased profits for Cunard Line, Queen Mary was officially retired from service in 1967. The ship left Southampton for the last time on October 31 1967 and sailed to the port of Long Beach, California, United States, where she remains permanently moored. Much of the mechinery has been removed and it now serves as a tourist attraction featuring restaurants, a museum, and a hotel.
Ghosts were reported on board after the ship was permanently docked in California. Many areas are rumoured to be haunted. Reports of hearing children crying in the nursery room, used as the third class playroom, and mysterious splash noise in the drained first class swimming pool are cited. In 1966, 18 year old engineer John Pedder was crushed by a watertight door in the engine room during a fire drill, and his ghost is said to haunt the ship. One of the most haunted spots however is cabin B340, which is no longer let out due to the extreme paranormal activity, believed to be the result of the murder of an 8 year old girl. There is also said to be the spirit of a young girl named Jackie Korin who drowned in the second class pool and continues to haunt the first class pool room on board the ship. A young woman by the name of Sarah was said to have been murdered in the first class women's change rooms by an unknown man and haunts the the first class pool with Jackie. Some visitors say they have seen women wearing early 1930's bathing suits in the pool areas. It is also said that men screaming and the sound of metal crushing against metal can be heard below decks at the extreme front end of the bow. Those who have heard this believe it to be the screams of the sailors aboard HMS Curacoa at the moment the light cruiser was split in half by the liner.
The Myrtles Plantation, St. Francisville Louisiana:
The Plantation was built in 1796 by General David Bradford and was called Laurel Grove at the time. General Bradford lived there alone for several years, until being pardoned for his role in the whiskey Rebellion in 1799 when President Washington ordered him to be executed. He then moved his wife Elizabeth and their five children to the plantation from Pennsylvania. One of Bradford's law students, Clark Woodruff eventually married Bradford's daughter, Sara Mathilda, in 1817. After the death of David Bradford in 1808, Clark and Sara Woodruff managed the plantation for Elizabeth Bradford. They had three children Cornelia Gale, James and Mary Octavia.
Woodruff sold the plantation, the land and the slaves to Ruffin Gray Stirling. Stirling and his wife Mary Catherine Cobb, undertook an extensive remodeling of the house. When completed, the new house was nearly double the size of the former building, and its name was changed to The Myrtles.
When Stirling died he gave the land to his wife Mary, whom hired William Drew Winter to help manage the plantation as her lawyer and agent. Winter was married to Mary Cobbs daughter, Sarah Stirling. Sarah and William Winter lived at the plantation and had six children, one of whom a daughter named Kate Winter died from typhoid at the age of three. In 1871, William Winter was shot by a suspected man named E.S. Webber on the porch of the house and within minutes died. Sarah remained at the Myrtles with her mother and sibilings until 1878, when she died. Mary Cobb died in 1880, and the plantation passed to Stephen, one of her sons. The plantation was heavily in debt, however, and Stephen sold it in 1886 to Oran D. Brooks. Brooks sold it in 1889, and the house changed hands several times until 1891, when it was purchased by Harrison Milton Williams.
It is said that the plantation was built on an ancient Indian burial ground. And that General Bradford was documented as saying that he had visibly encountered a spiritual Indian girl on the grounds. Many individuals who have frequented the plantation have also shared similar experience's.
Also the spirit of Chloe who was once a slave servent to the owners of the home. The particular master of this woman was Judge Woodruffe. It is believed that Chloe was also his mistress, against her wishes. It is believed that Chloe was eventually dismissed as his mistress, but was still allowed to serve the family, though she always feared losing her job. One birthday, she poisoned the cake in an effort to try to show the family she was worthy by caring for them. Two children died, the Judge lived, and she fled. Eventually, she would be killed by other slaves. Many people report seeing her spirit to this day. Along with the spirit of Chloe, the two spirit's of the children who were killed are also seen playing on the grounds of the plantation.
There is a story that stats a gentleman was robbed and murdered there its said that his spirit is known to scare the guests.
Some guests have also claimed to hear a commotion on the stairs only for it to end on the 17th step, that is where William Winter died after being shot.
Manresa Castle, Port Townsend Washington:
This Hotel was originally completed in 1892 as the home of Charles and Kate Eisenbeis. Charles was a prominent member of early Port Townsend history as he was the first mayor. Once it was finished Charles named it Eisenbeis Castle. In 1902 Charles died and the mansion was left empty when Kate remarried. In 1925 it was purchased to function as a vacation home for nuns. In 1927 it was purchased by Jesuits who turned it into a training college and renamed it Manresa Hall. It is jesuits who built the large extension to the original building and covered the brick walls of the original section to keep it more in line with the new wing. In 1968 the Jesuit's left and it became a hotel.
Reports are that rooms 302, 304 & 306 are haunted. There are reports of two ghosts in residence. One is said to be a monk who hung himself in attic. Sometimes people hear footsteps walking above them, but there is no one in the attic. The other ghost is said to be that of a young lady who had been waiting for her beloved to return from war. Sadly after she heard of his demise, she threw herself out her window.
Also, In the chapel/cafe drinking glasses are known explode, even when in one server's hand, & sometimes the empty glasses are known to be turned upside down.
Other weird things that are reported there are doors that slam shut by themselves, televisions and lights that turn on and off, pictures that suddenly fall off the wall, and odd lights have been spotted moving down the hallways.
Driskill Hotel, Austin Texas:
The Driskill was conceived and built by Col. Jesse Driskill, a cattleman who spent his fortune constructing "the finest hotel south of St. Louis". Which was completed in 1886.
But Driskill didnt have the clientele to match the splendor of his four star hotel, he was forced to close it in May 1887, less than a year after it opened. According to legend, he finally lost the hotel in a game of poker in 1888 to his brother-in-law, Jim "doc" Day, who became its second owner.
The hotel changed hands several times through the turn of the 19th to 20th century, and went through boom and bust cycles along with the city of Austin. Local magnate George Littlefield, responsible for other Austin landmarks bought the hotel in 1895 and vowed that it would never close again, howeever in 1903 he sold it.
In 1934, future President Lyndon Johnson met his future wife, Claudia Taylor, for their first ddate in the dining room of the hotel, They continued a lifelong love of the Driskill and often stayed there.
The Driskill was threatened with the demolition in 1969, after a planed renovation fell through. Most of its furnishings were sold. The hotel was saved from the wrecking ball at almost the last minute, however, when a non profit organization called the Driskill Hotel Corporation raised 900.000. The hotel reopened in 1972 and has remained successful since.
Today the Driskill remains one of the premier hotels in Texas, featuring lavish bridal suites, two restaurants, and a grand ballroom.
The hotel is said to be one of the most haunted in Texas. There is a room, referred to as that of 525 that is rumored to be one of the most haunted in the hotel. There is a story of tragedy and despair that surronds the room, though it is unknown if the stories are true, historically. This is the story that is often referred to as the "Suicide Brides". It is believed that two young women, who were on their honeymoon in the hotel twenty years apart, took their own lives in the bathroom of the room. As a result, the hotel staff blocked off the bathroom area, and shut down the room completely. Whe reconstruction efforts began in the year of 1998, this room was allowed to be opened. Several strange occurrences made themselves evident when this occurred, all the way from unexplained leaks to visions and sensations of apparitions.
There was a lady who commited suicide on the fourth floor of the hotel. Many individuals claim to have observed what appears to be a spirit of a female out of the corner of their eye while on this floor, but when they look to see theres no one there. In addition to this, it often sounds as if a female is whispering on the floor. While very faint, those who have heard it do not forget it vry easily. In some instances, a woman has been heard crying on the fourth floor by hotel staff even when no one is staying on that floor.
There is a story documented in history in which the young girl of a popular Senator of the time met her fate while chasing a ball along the "Grand" staircase in the hotel. This occurred in the year of 1887. It was reported a week after her death that she was up and playing at the hotel with her little ball. This incident was actually the first recording of the paranormal.
Vinoy Renaissance, St. Petersburg Florida:
The hotel was constructed in 1925 by Aymer Vinoy Laughner. It only took a total of ten months for the efforts to be completed. Initially, the Vinoy hotel was established to service the public from December of each year to March of the following year. It was appropriately dubbed a seasonal Hotel. At its opening, individuals would pay approximately twenty dollars for each night that they resided at the establishment. While this seems quite low in today's world, it was considered to be one of the most expensive rates at its time.
While Aymer experienced a lot of success with the establishment, he sold it to a man by the name of Charles Alberding immediately after World War II. Charles experienced a lot of financial success for approximately twenty years. Unfortunately the hotel had to close its doors to the public in the year of 1974. When this happened, most of the items contained in the Vinoy hotel were sold. Because of the fact that it stood, abandoned, in a large Florida city, many, many vagrants started to break in and lodge at the structure. In the early part of the 1990s, two corporations merged and developed a partnership and purchased the Vinoy hotel. The first was the Vinoy Development Corporation and the second was the Renaissance Hotels and Resorts company. An investment of ninety three million dollars was placed in the hotel for renovation purposes and reopened. Today it is considered to be a "four diamond" hotel.
The right-handed relief pitcher associated with the organization known as the “Florida Marlins” named Scott Ryan Williamson has experienced paranormal activity in the Renaissance Vinoy Resort in St. Petersburg. The experience came during the year 2003 when he was playing for the Cincinnati Reds. First, he noticed a very faint like light emerging from the area where the pool is located when he turned out the lights in his room. He then got the immediate feeling that he was being observed. He tried to dismiss the experience and rolled over, stomach down, to get some sleep. It was then that he felt immediate pressure on his back and experienced complications breathing. He turned over and experienced relief. When he rolled back onto his stomach, the same event transpired. He is quoted in saying “It felt like someone was sitting on me…” He turned back over and observed a man standing in a coat near the curtains.
Immediately after Williamson experienced this, the Pittsburgh Pirates checked in to the haunted Florida establishment. The strength coordinator and the individual that coordinated pitching, Frank Velasquez, had an experience of his own. It occurred at approximately five in the morning. Frank awoke and witnessed a transparent male standing in the region near the desk in the room. In speaking of his experience, he shrugs it off and stated “We were so travel disoriented and it was so late, you can’t do anything but just close your eyes”.
Many individuals have observed a distinguished male walking in the halls, dressed in a formal suit. Most immediately got the impression that he was with the haunted Florida hotel as a concierge. However, when looking back to him or attempting to draw his attention, they discover that he has completely disappeared into thin air.
One day, a man who once served as a reliever for the team known as the “Toronto Blue Jays” talked his wife into staying at the Vinoy Hotel instead of traveling back and forth to the region from Brooksville, Florida. His wife, Kandria, objected. She had heard the rumors of the paranormal activity and was not at all comfortable with the situation. Eventually, she agreed to lodge at the establishment with their children. However, while he was at practice to optimize his bating skills, he received a call from his significant other. She explained that she and the children had witnessed water turning on and off, and the toilet flushing continuously and she absolutely refused to spend any more time at the location. The section of the hotel that they were staying in was referred to as the “Old Wing” and the employees there confirmed that those types of situations were common in that section.
Many individuals have experienced flickering lights in their rooms at night, as well as unexplained noises such as the sounds of walking, shuffling and chains.
The Battery Carriage House Inn, Charleston South Carolina:
Built in 1843 by Samuel N. Stevens a wealthy commercial agent for plantation owners.
In 1847, the house was sold to Andrew Simonds, the founder of the first national bank of south carolina. Today the house is still owned by his great great grandson, who restored the home and turned it into a hotel after the wreckage caused by Hurricane Hugo. And today it is a premiere bed and breakfast on the Charleston Harbor that offers top of the line service and privacy to its tenants.
The Battery Carriage House Inn has been appropriately deemed "The most haunted inn" in Charleston area. Since the year of 1992, several reports that seem to indicate paranormal activity have been documented by employees, as well as guests visiting the popular structure. The stories have been repeated by such a variety of individuals that the tour guide that leads visitors on a historical glimpse of the structure will detail particular ghost stories while expounding on the historical notations of interest. The first of the stories surrounding paranormal events at the Inn in Charleston includes that of the mournful gentleman.
The gentleman ghost that is believed to haunt the luxurious inn is believed to have been a caller in real life. It is believed that he preformed in this position in order to compensate his college studies. His presence is most often felt in and around the room that is identifed with the number "10". Individuals who have observed this spirit have stated that he is young and particularly well dressed. They also claim that he appears to be relatively young. Many female guests have woke up to discover this spirit simply lying beside them.
While he is not engaging in any type of harmful behaviors, it is frightening to discover a ghost in bed with you. Those who expressed fear verbally state that he quickly leave the room, typically through the wall that is the quickest route for him. It is believed that this is a spirit of a younger man who resided at the home with his family in its earliest days. Rumor has it that he was overcome with depression and jumped from the top of the building, and met his tragic end of the physical world and emerged into the spiritual world.
The next spirit that seems to haunt the inn is that of a soldier that is believed to be from the era of civil war. While this particular spirit does not seem to want to cause issues with the guests, he has been noted as the most “frightening” of all the spiritual encounters that one may come across at this structure. This is because of the fact that he is not in the form of a pleasant full body apparition, but he is actually just a torso! That is right! There are no arms, no legs, and frightening of all – no head! Those that have experienced this spirit first hand state that it is a devastating experience. The apparition seems to make sort of a “growling” sound that is believed to be a direct result of his form.
In addition to the above mentioned spirits, there are other types of paranormal activity that is said to occur in the Battery Carriage House Inn. This unexplained phenomenon involves glowing lights and shadows. When these lights and shadows are viewed by visitors and/or employees, it always seems to occur in and around the same area. Many refer to this as the “Ghost Congregation”. It is unknown as to what particular course of historical events contributes to this unexplained phenomenon, but for the individual that experiences it, it is a frightening experience!
Monte Vista Hotel, Flagstaff Arizona:
This old hotel is one of the very few American hotels built entirely from public taxes, when, in 1924, a man by the name of V.M. Slipher spearheaded a local fundraising campaign to build the hotel.
After its opening, the hotel was popular not only among the tourists but also a favorite of the locals who quickly coined the phrase, "Meet me at Monte V". In its first year, the hotel hosted Mary Costigan's daily three hour radio show from room 105. Costigan was the first American woman to be granted a radio broadcasting license.
Opening during the prohibition era, this didn't stop the Hotel Monte Vista Lounge from ignoring the law and running a profitable bootlegging operation out of Flagstaff's most popular speakeasy. However, in 1931, the place was raided by local officials and shut down, only to resume business two years later when prohibition finally came to an end. For five years between 1935 and 1940, the hotel lounge and lobby also offered its many guests a wide range of slot machines to choose from, the only ones ever in Flagstaff.
In the 1940's and 50's, western movies became the choice of the American public and more than one hundred movies were filmed in nearby Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon. During these filmings, the hotel hosted many famous guests. In fact it was John Wayne, who reported one of the hotels first ghosts in the late 1950's.
In the 1970's three men robbed a Flagstaff bank near the hotel, where one of them was shot during their escape from the bank. Lying low and celebrating their successful robbery, the trio stopped in at the hotels lounge for a drink. However, the wounded man's gunshot injury was obviously more serious than any of them anticipated because before he could finish his first drink, he died right there in the lounge.
Today, staff and guests feel as if this dead bandit is one of the many spirits that haunt the hotel. One manager reported that he would hear an eerie voice that said "Hello" and "Good Morning" when he would open the bar each day. Others have told stories of feeling a ghostly presence while enjoying a drink in the cocktail lounge. Though this might be the ghost of the gunman, the hotel has such a past of shootings, cowboys on horseback in the lobby, and drunken brawls that they aren't really sure.
All types of other strange phenomena are reported at the hotel by spirits who make noise, move furniture around, make sudden appearances, ring the lobby telephone, and knock things down. Both employees and guests have heard band music coming from the second-floor lobby, when there is no band playing. Reportedly, the staff has become so accustomed to the odd occurrences that it has become a joke to them.
In Room 210, called the Zane Grey room, many guests have been awakened in the night by a phantom bellboy, who knocks on the door with the statement that room service has arrived. However, when the guests open the door, they see nothing but an empty hallway, not even a glimpse of someone escaping down the long corridor. Others have reported seeing the image of a woman who wanders the halls outside this room. Supposedly, the hotel avoids putting guests with pets in this room because dogs go crazy with fear and tear up the room.
This floor is evidently a hub of ghostly activity, as just down the hall in Room 220, all types of strange activity is reported. Evidently in the early 1980’s this room played host to an eccentric long-term boarder who was known to hang raw meat from the chandelier. Sometime later he died in this room and his body was not discovered for several days. Today, guests often complain of hearing coughing and other noises from the otherwise empty room. At one time, after a maintenance man had made several repairs to the room, he turned off the light and locked the door. However, returning just five minutes later, the light was back on, the bed linens stripped, and the television broadcasting at full blast.
In the Gary Cooper Room many guests have reported being unnerved by the sure feeling that someone was watching them. Reportedly, two prostitutes were murdered in this room when they were thrown out the window. The two painted ladies have also been reportedly sighted in the pool hall and the lounge.
In yet another room, number 305, the ghost of a female apparition is often reported as sitting in the rocking chair. Further, if the cleaning staff moves the chair, the next day it will always reappear next to the window.
Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel, Hollywood, California:
Named after Theodore Roosevelt, this hotel was financed by an affluent Hollywood group including Louis B Mayer, Mary Pickford and Douglas Fairbanks Jr. In the late 1920s, the cost of building the hotel was approximately $2.5 million so it was an extremely expensive project. It was the place to be seen by celebrities and hosted opening night galas and any important Hollywood event. In fact, in 1929 the Hollywood Roosevelt hosted the first Academy Awards ceremony in the Blossom Ballroom.
This 12-storey hotel was built with 302 rooms and suites. In 1983, there was a $240 million dollar restoration done on the Hollywood Roosevelt and it now features 335 luxury rooms. Located in hub of Hollywood, the Roosevelt Hotel is located across the street from Mann's Chinese Theater and the famous Hollywood “Walk of Fame” is at its doorstep on Hollywood Boulevard.
Marilyn Monroe was a resident at the Hollywood Roosevelt for two years when her modeling career took off. Her first magazine shoot was taken on the diving board on the pool behind the hotel, which was recently removed. The hotel's remodeled pool contains an underwater mural painted by David Hockney.
Marilyn Monroe stayed in Cabana Suite 229, which overlooked the pool. A mirror which once hung in her room, now in storage following hotel renovations, is said to be haunted by her spirit, though this is just urban myth. In December 1985 a maid named Suzanne Leonard was dusting the mirror when she saw a blonde woman standing directly behind her reflected in the glass. She turned to speak to the woman, but no one was there. When she turned back, the reflection was again behind her. Two psychics “read” the mirror, and found much sadness in it, but it was inconclusive whether or not the apparition was the famed actress's
The 9th floor has been known to feature apparitions, sounds, and cold spots. Many employees have claimed to see a man in a suit turn the corner and walk out the emergency exit. They try to speak with the man, but he will not even look at them. At night, guests claim there are disturbingly loud footsteps, and noises that sound like a trumpet. Some people have thought these claims may be linked to Montgomery Clift, who lived at the Hollywood Roosevelt, in room 928, for three months while filming From Here to Eternity in 1953. Clift used to walk up and down the 9th floor playing his trumpet and rehearsing his lines. Room 928 has also been claimed to be haunted. Guest's belongings have been moved around without being touched. One woman claimed that she woke up in the middle of the night and saw a man in a top hat and suit sitting on her suitcase, looking out the window. She simply ignored him, thinking that she was imagining things, and went back to sleep. When she woke up and called for help to take her suitcase down to her car, she turned around to see that the contents of her suitcase, which had been packed, were scattered around the room.
Cabana Suite 213 is claimed by many paranormal investigators to be one of the most haunted and filled with activity. According to the front desk employees, there is a steady stream of people who check out of this room in the middle of the night, all saying the same thing: "There is something that just isn't right with that room." So far, about ten people have claimed they saw a headless man coming at them. Also, there have been claims that the TV randomly turns on and off on its own, the coffee maker starts doing strange things, and the sink goes on and off. Paranormal investigators have also picked up strange voices in recordings screaming "Someone died here!" or "Turn around".
Some of the most common supernatural sightings occur in the Blossom Ballroom. In one corner of the ballroom, many people claim to have heard voices and felt cold spots. Others have seen apparitions of people dancing around the ballroom and on the walls. A number of people have claimed to have seen Marilyn Monroe in the ballroom, dancing or posing. In the top balcony of the Blossom Ballroom, paranormal investigators and experts claim that there is a portal. There have been many pictures taken there that have shown orbs and apparitions.